Saturday, August 29, 2009

Smith backs Williamson's case


Tommy Smith believes ex-Watford team-mate Mike Williamson would be a good signing for Portsmouth.

Smith has confirmed manager Paul Hart has asked him what he thinks about the former Wycombe defender.

The 29-year-old believes Williamson is good enough to make the step up and has the e the step up and has the desire to succeed.
Step up

"I have spoken to the gaffer here about him and was asked what I think, and I certainly think he can step up," explained Smith.

"He's a good player, somebody who is hungry for the challenge and a very hard worker. I think he would be a great acquisition for the club."

Smith has confirmed he was close to joining Reading, but the lure of the Premier League was too strong to resist.

Medical

"I had done the medical and everything else at Reading and I was happy to make the move," he continued. "I was really happy with that deal.

"But then the Portsmouth call came, and the lure of the Premier League football was just too good. Any footballer wants to play at the top of their game.

"I've got quite a few years under my belt in the Championship, and it was always a case of looking for promotion or trying to find the right move. I feel I've done that."

0 comments:

Post a Comment